Sunday, April 26, 2015

D&D Ramblings and 5th Edition

So I started with AD&D and dabbled with 3.0 (3.5) versions of Dungeons and Dragons. When 4th edition was released, I got heavily into Dungeons and Dragons. I bought almost every Core Books, Supplements for the games and all of the essentials line. 

I found 4th edition to be a new and fun take on the game, the prep time for the GM was greatly reduced.  In addition there was so much for the player to choose from. At its core concept 4th edition was awesome.  However (in my opinion) the same things that make it awesome took it a point of manageability.  Combat sessions were long and players took to much time reviewing there options


Now I am not into the whole edition wars thing. I think each edition has its own Niche.  If it didn't the earlier versions would have died out, but all the versions are alive and surviving.  Out of print books keep going up in price not for collector, but for players who want the books. And there are some great websites with new fan made material.  And Pathfinder has set a new standard for delivering quality material for the gaming community.

So now Dungeons and Dragons 5th edition (Next) is out, and I am looking forward to playing a few games. Unlike my excursion in to 4th edition, I think I will slow my roll and create more of my own stuff, maybe update some of those great AD&D modules to 5th.  I may even post a few of my thoughts and ideas here.

For any interested in Dungeons and Dragons 5th edition, Wizards has offered a couple of PDFs for  the basic rules for the game.

No comments: