Saturday, December 27, 2008

Eldar Terrain

I was searching the Internet the other day for examples of Eldar terrain. After seeing the latest terrain pieces created by the Games Workshop team, I decided I needed to add a few terrain pieces to support my Eldar Army. During my search I found quite a bit of good stuff, but was surprised at the lack of diversity of the pieces. A majority of the terrain was the typical Eldar War Gate. Only a few of the sites such as Iron Hands, and Master Darksol had more.

Now I think a warp gate is a great piece of scenery and there are some really good examples of out there, such as the one from Dysartes . So much that I am making a warp gate myself to act as a objective marker. Also I agree that the warp gate is the cornerstone of the Eldar Civilization, but I was hoping to see more unique or different pieces.

With that said, I guess its time for me to quit whining and to try my hand at creating some Eldar Terrain. I plan on using some of the illustrations in the codex as examples. I also suspect that some of the stuff done for the Warhammer Fantasy High and Dark Elves will influence my work.

Since the idea of using urea-formaldehyde resin, the stuff used by the Games Workshop Studio Team does not appeal to me, I will try to stay with more easily obtainable materials, such as foam core, mat and illustration board.

Well its off to the sketch some ideas.

Dec. 29 2008
Ok so its harder that I expected to make an eldar warp gate. My first attempt was made of mat board, styrofoam and a trashed CD (for the base). I find that a used CD makes a pretty good flat surface and it is usually free, thank you promotional groups. Anyway the base looked good, the gate was lacking. I will be trying to make another one later this week.

As I mentioned before I will be trying to make a more substantial piece of terrain, like an outpost. I see it as tower like structure, with mix influence of dark elf, high elf and the illustration in the Eldar Codex (page 12).

Honestly I haven't had time to make some sketches, but I will have some soon.

No comments: